Saturday, March 17, 2012

LEVEL BEST Lessons From the Life of Joe Elston by Renee Elston Duka

This book was written by a daughter of a friend of mine from my church, Harvest. Sherry Elston's husband, Joe passed away from cancer a few years back and his daughter Renee wrote a book about the stories of his life.

I think this book is beautifully written. It not only talks about his life growing up, how he was a the oldest of six, always helping his mother. But it also talks about his character. The lessons that he taught his children. He was a very influential man in the lives of those around him, influential with his character.

I remember meeting Papa Joe when I moved to Elk Grove for Master's Commission back in 2000. I had just joined on staff with Master's Commission and had a meeting with a few other staff members, one them being Joe.

I had always though through the years that he reminded me of my own grandpa. I wasn't sure what it was about him. My grandpa, like Joe was very tall. Maybe it was that. Maybe it was just his quiet spirit that drew me to him.

I think this book is a great quick read. It's not only a good read about Joe's life but I think it definitely encourages those reading how their lives can be a great example of Christ, especially for our children, to leave a legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment