Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Immanuel's Veins

by: Ted Dekker

Yes, another Ted Dekker book! I told you he is one of my favorite authors! Whenever he comes out with a new book, it moves up to the top of my list to read. This book came out last fall and he has another book coming out in a few months! It amazes me that he has so many stories that he is able to write books so fast. The other amazing thing is they are all so different and creative, which is why they keep me wanting to read more!

I think this book is one of his more untamed (for lack of a better word) books that he has. I am used to Ted Dekker's style of writing now but this one seems to push the edge for me of what I would normally read. I would have to say I am uncertain if I really like it or not. I guess I don't hate it though. If I had to describe it, I would say it's the Christian version of Vampire Diaries. I have not read any of those books, nor actually desire to, but if you have you will surely like this book.

Immanuel's Veins takes place at the Cantemir Castle. Two men are put in charge to watch over a mother and two daughters in that home. Evil then sneaks it's way in through the veil of "love". Once again Ted Dekker writes in a way that keeps you reading and always captivated with the story. In the end it's about the blood of Immanuel's Veins that saves.

Now, I would not recommend this book to anyone who is just starting to read Ted Dekker's books. It think it is so hard to describe his books until you have read enough to be in the circle of understanding! But I also won't write it off so fast. This one may not be my all time favorite but I may read this again one day, now that I know what to expect and see it from a different perspective the next time around.

As I've said before I will always read the next book Ted Dekker comes out with and I'm looking forward to his next book; The Priests Graveyard coming out in April!!!

2 comments:

  1. When I was half way through it, I almost put it down. I didn't like it and I love Ted Dekker! I did set it aside for a while and then went back to it, reluctantly. I am glad I finished it! I thought the ending was great! I saw more Jesus and His sacrificial love in this book than the others. ( Minus the Circle books.) The beginning, tough read for me. Ending, worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't like this book...and I love Ted Dekker...the evil seemed stronger than the good and the ending (though fantastic) felt anti-climatic to me in a way (thank goodness for it though!). After The Boneman's Daughter, Adam and now this book, I think I'm going to stop reading Dekker's books - and he's been my favorite author for at least 8 years. :( I do love the books he's co-written with Erin Healy (if she's not any more, she has been his editor for a long time)...have you read any of them?

    ReplyDelete