Monday, November 12, 2012

Voice in The Wind by Francine Rivers

I absolutely love this book. I first read this book in High School, then again a few years after I was married. So, it's been a good 8 years since I read it. I was looking around at books I own and thought I would pick it up again while I waited for my library books to arrive. I'm so glad I did!

Hadassah's family is in Jerusalem when the Roman's take over and are killing all the Jew's. Hadassah's father was killed on the streets while trying to witness and her mother died of starvation. Her brother was killed when the Roman's came into their home but spared Hadassah and her sister and took them into slavery though Hadassah's sister, Leah, dies the first night from starvation as well.

Hadassah is a loving character in this book. I can't imagine all the things that she must endure. I saw one review that she was just too perfect. But as I read the book I couldn't imagine Hadassah being different without changing the point of the story. Plus in those times, as a slave you didn't have a voice like we do now. You couldn't stand up for yourself, you would be killed. Not just for your beliefs but for your behavior!

Hadassah becomes a slave to the daughter, Julia, of a prominent family in Rome. All the while Hadassah conceals that she is a Christian, not a Jew. She endures many trials from the fault of her selfish owner, Julia. All the while serving as Christ would serve.

You grow attached to the characters. I thought it would take me a week to read this 500+ page book but I couldn't put it down! I read it in 5 days!

If you have never read this book, I highly recommend that you do. It's still at the top of my all time favorite books! You will not be disappointed! I am going to read the rest of the series soon too, there was so much I had forgotten and I fell in love all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment