Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock

I was looking for something new to read and saw on my Goodreads site that one of the book clubs was reading this. Now that I've read it I can't figure out what group that was! Maybe I was just meant to find a new author to read!

This story is kind of like The Help to me. Not the story line in anyway but the style of writing. Something about the setting and the characters just made me get that feeling. Though I can't say if you read The Help that you would love this book, just that the style was like it.

In Promises to Keep; Roz and her family move to a new town, to get away from her father, who is an alcoholic. Roz is 11 years old and has a brother, Wally, who is 18 and a little sister, Valerie, who is under a year. Roz's grandfather helped them to get a house not far from him so that they can start over.

One morning an older woman is sitting on their porch. Her name is Mrs. Monroe and who knew that she would end up being the biggest blessing to their family! She believed she was the rightful owner of the home that her husband and her built together but it had been sold when she fell and her son's took over.

The story follows Roz through her life in a new place. When surprising her daddy shows up! Roz makes friends with another girl at school, Mara. They both have a secret about their daddy's and it becomes a promise for them to keep between each other. 

I could see this book being a movie. It's not that it's fast paced but I got involved with the characters. It definitely isn't one to read if you like suspense. I did think at the end there was a huge shock and then the last chapter finished everything up really fast. Which seemed so quick to end. But it was something different than I have been reading lately and I liked it.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment